Position Title: Graduate Assistant, Youth Collection
Reports to: Katelyn Browne, Youth Services Librarian, Rod Library Learning & Research Division
Terms of Employment:
- For the fall semester: 10 hours per week, beginning August 20, 2018 and ending December 14, 2018. Does not include the week of Thanksgiving Break.
- For the spring semester: 10 hours per week, beginning January 14, 2019 and ending May 10, 2019. Does not include the week of Spring Break.
- Half-time assistantship salary for 2018-19 is $2,588 per semester.
- Salary will be prorated weekly for late start.
- Graduate Assistants may qualify for in-state tuition and fees.
- Graduate Assistants receive University holidays and do not work during Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break, or the interims between semesters.
- For more information on the Graduate Assistantship System and procedures: http://www.grad.uni.edu.proxy.lib.uni.edu/assistantships/
- Staffing the Youth Services desk; providing reference assistance to library patrons using the Youth Collection
- Creating and updating content in print documents and on the Youth Collection website (including editing of grammar, punctuation, and spelling)
- Creating surveys and aggregating, reporting, and analyzing results
- Assisting with collection development, assessing potential titles for purchase, and/or tracking trends in children's publishing
- Assisting with instruction, outreach programs, events, and/or Youth Collection introductory tours and tutorials
- Assisting the Youth Services Librarian with research projects
- Collaborating with other library units, university departments, and/or community organizations on projects related to the Youth Collection
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student in a UNI graduate program
- Must be enrolled in 9 graduate credits each semester of assistantship
- Must maintain a Plan and cumulative GPA of at least 3.00. First semester graduate students must have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.00.
- B.A. degree in English, Education, or other related field
- Experience in public service and/or library work
- Strong writing, editing, and professional communication skills
- Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about children's and/or young adult literature
- Knowledgeable about library resources
- Proactive about asking questions and implementing feedback
Application Process and Deadline: To apply, email the completed Application Form for Graduate Assistantship (available at http://www.grad.uni.edu.proxy.lib.uni.edu/assistantships), along with a resume and cover letter to Katelyn Browne, (Youth Services Librarian, Rod Library): firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications received by 5:00 p.m. on September 1, 2017, will be given preferential consideration.