down arrowMenu

Rod Library Site Logo

Today's Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.    More hours
Questions? Call Library Services at (319) 273-2838

Edward L. Bailey

TO: All UNI Staff
FROM: Dr. Robert Stansbury, Vice President for Administrative Services
DATE: August 29, 1974

Mr. Edward Bailey, Campus Services Supervisor, died suddenly Saturday, August 10, 1974. Mr. Bailey was born in Grundy County on January 23, 1917, the son of George and Rose (Venenga) Bailey. On February 22, 1952, he married Olive Mindrun in Missouri.

Mr. Bailey earned his bachelor's degree in horticulture, and did graduate work at the State University of South Dakota. Mr. Bailey operated a nursery business in West Liberty, Iowa, from 1946 through 1962. He served as City Forester and Director of Parks and Recreation for the city of Iowa City prior to joining the University of Northern Iowa on April 16, 1963.

Funeral services were held at First United Methodist Church with the Rev. Wilbur Wilcox, pastor, officiating. Burial was at the Fairview Cemetery on Monday, August 12, 1974.

The UNI Foundation has received memorials for planting trees and shrubs on the campus and anyone wishing to make memorials can address them to the UNI Foundation in Mr. Bailey's name.

Bailey Memorial to be Dedicated

The Edward L. Bailey Memorial of the Biological Preserves System at the University of Northern Iowa will be dedicated Tuesday, September 9, 1975, in ceremonies scheduled for 2 p.m.

Special guests at the ceremonies will include Lieutenant Governor Arthur A. Neu and Mrs. Mary Louise Petersen, President of the State Board of Regents, along with members of the Bailey family.

Mr. Bailey was a landscape planner at the University prior to his death in 1974, and was a strong force as a member of the UNI Biological Preserves Committee in efforts to reconstruct several natural vegetation areas on the campus.

He came to UNI in 1968 from a job as city forester in Iowa City and was instrumental in replanting projects all around the campus. He served the University during the time it suffered the loss of three hundred elm trees. It was his task to supervise replanting so that in years to come the many "empty holes" would be filled.

The Memorial to Mr. Bailey will be located in a public exhibit area of the Lowland Forest Preserve being reconstructed southeast of the new Industrial Technology Center. This preserve, expected to reach its full maturity in about 150 years, is a fifteen acre tract of streamside, floodplain, and second terrace forest.

Native vegetation in this forest will include cottonwood, willow, maple, ash, hackberry, box elder, elm, mulberry, oak, walnut, butternut, Kentucky coffee, and honey locust trees. There were 150 ash trees planted last spring, with further plantings to come from seed beds in the University Avenue Preserve and from seedlings thinned out of Black Hawk County parks by park personnel.

Other reconstruction projects on the campus include the Prairie Preserve, the Upland Forest Preserve, and the shrub preserve on the University Avenue Preserve.

Master of Ceremonies for the dedication will be Dr. John C. Downey, professor and head of the UNI Biology Department. Dr. Clifford McCollum, Dean of the College of Natural Sciences, will give the welcome and Lieutenant Governor Neu will deliver a dedicatory message.

The Bailey children will present the Bailey Memorial Plaque and Mrs. Bailey and other guests will participate in the planting of the ceremonial oak. Closing remarks will be given by Dr. Virgil Dowell, UNI professor of biology and chairman of the committee.

All interested persons are invited to attend the dedication and the reception following the ceremony in the Biology Research Center.

Adapted from a University of Northern Iowa news release, September 5, 1975.

Rod Library Special Collections and University Archives 
University of Northern Iowa 
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613-3675 
Telephone: (319)-273-7295
Fax: (319)-273-2913 


My Account
Ask Us!
Site Search
Floor Maps
Staff List
About Us

Rod Library

1227 W 27th Street
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614
(319) 273-2838  |

Google Map