Search the Rod Library Website
Baby Care Pamphlets, 1951-1961
Title: Baby Care Pamphlets, 1951-1961
Record Series: MsC-63
Extent: 0.209 linear feet, 1 box
Repository: Special Collections and University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
Language: This material is entirely in English.
Access and Use
Accessing the Collection:
There are no restrictions on the use of this material.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item] in the Baby Care Pamphlets collection, 1951-1961,Manuscript Record Series MsC-63, [folder number], University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa
Scope and Content
This small collection of pamphlets, clippings, and publications offers advice to new mothers on the care of a baby. Most of the material comes from companies that produce food, equipment, and other products and services for babies and their mothers. The publications offer recommendations on proper nutrition, clothing, and other aspects of care for mothers and babies.
Folder 1: American Medical Association Committee on Toxicology, "Danger lurks unless you prevent accidental poisonings."
Folder 2: The Babee-Tenda Corporation, "Babee Tenda safety products," 1960
Folder 3: Burlington Basket Company, "Genuine Hawkeye Baskenette"
Folder 4: Carnation Company, "You and your contented baby," 1956.
Folder 5: The Duffy Mott Company, Inc.,"Beauty is for mothers, too," 1961.
Folder 6: Gerber Products Company
- "How does your baby grow?"
- "When do baby's taste buds wake up?", "Cereal story", and coupons.
- Baby's book, 1959.
- Recipes for toddlers, 1959.
- Foods for baby and mealtime psychology, 1959.
Folder 7: John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company
- "From Six to Twelve," 1956.
- "What to eat and why," 1959
Folder 8: The Kendall Company
- Curity waterproof lap pads, 1960.
- Curity presents "A layette list for baby," 1960.
Folder 9: Lane Bryant
- "Stork facts" pamphlets order form.
- Stork facts. Maternity Center Association, 1960.
- For mothers-to-be.
Folder 9: Maternity Center Association, "Baby Makes 3," 1960.
Folder 10: Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, "Understanding Your Young Child," 1951.
Folder 11: National Dairy Council
- Feeding little folks, 1952.
- For parents-to-be… how food helps mother and baby, 1959
- Feeding your baby at your breast, 1959.
- When your baby is bottle fed, 1959.
- Feeding your baby during his first year, 1959.
Folder 12: Procter & Gamble, "Dear mother"
Folder 13: The Pyramid Rubber Company, "Modern Methods for Preparing Baby's Formula," 1960.
Folder 14: Sears, Roebuck and Company, "The easy way to wash and iron your clothes."
Folder 15: This Week magazine articles
- Facts about furry playmates for baby, February 26, 1961.
- Does scolding help baby "be good"?
Folder 16: Ward Green Company,
- "12 personal questions: planned birth spacing known to medical science"
- 10 issues of "Parents' Magazine"
- "Back to normal instantly"
Folder 17: Miscellaneous
- Free choice menu plan.
- Your child, your doctor, and you. C. A. Hanson, M. D. and R. C. Mitchell, M. D.
- Your pregnancy. Richard L. Miller, M. D.
Collection processed by Student Assistant Shanna Taylor and Library Assistant Gail Briddle; finding aid prepared by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson, August 2005; modified, February 2, 2015 (GP). Last updated by Library Associate Dave Hoing, October 2017. Linear feet count updated on August 7, 2017.