Search the Rod Library Website
Chassell Family Papers, 1821-1999.
Title: Chassell Family Papers, 1821-1999.
Record Series: 14/02/10
Creator: Olin Chassell, Frances Ella Buckingham Chassell, Clara Chassell Cooper, Laura Chassell Toops, and Joseph Chassell.
Extent: 7.75 linear feet, 8 boxes.
Repository: Special Collections and University Archives, University of Northern Iowa
Language: This material is entirely in English.
Access and Use
Accessing the Collection:
There are no restrictions on the use of this material. Some of the early correspondence is fragile.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item] in the Chassell Family Papers, 1821-1999 collection, Archives Record Series 14/02/10, [box number], University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
General Use, Reproduction, and Copyright Policies
Many items housed in the Rod Library Special Collections & University Archives, including unpublished images and manuscripts, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, trademarks, or model release rights which the library does not own and for which the library cannot grant permission or licensing. Materials currently under copyright are usually still available for research and limited reproduction under Fair Use laws. However, it is the sole responsibility of the patron to determine whether or not their use of a given material falls within Fair Use guidelines and to obtain permission for said use from the rightful copyright owner. If you are unsure where to begin, please consult the Copyright LibGuide. Please note that it is not the library's responsibility to locate or contact copyright holders for a patron, and neither the library nor library employees are responsible for copyright violations of the materials to which they facilitate research access. Please see our full General Use and Service Policies for more information.
CHASSELL AND BUCKINGHAM GENEALOGIES
William Chassell (1829-1910) m. Frances Arabella Jones (1834-1928)
- Edward Chassell (1858-1928)
- Norval W. Chassell (1860-1955)
- Olin Bosworth Chassell (February 2, 1862-March 27, 1944) [See below]
- Anstiss Arabella (Belle) Chassell (1864-1944) [Never married?]
- Harry Jones Chassell (1866-1960)
- Naomi Chassell
- Frances Chassell
- John Langdon (Langdon) Chassell (1871-1975)
- Helen Chassell [died in infancy]
- William Chassell [died in infancy]
Front row: Norval, Belle, Edward, and Olin Chassell
Back row: Frances, Harry, Langdon, and William Chassell
Joseph Buckingham (1814-1906) m. Merrilla Lockey (1833-1911)
- Virginia (Jennie) Buckingham Spensley (1851-1942)
- James Spensely, Jr.
- Ella Spensley Kolb
- Theodosia Spensley Peterson
- Merrille Elizabeth Spensley Ripple
- Albert Buckingham (1853-1923) [Never married?]
- Joseph H. Buckingham (1856-1890) [Never married?]
- Frances Ella (Ella) Buckingham (January 13, 1863-May 3, 1951) [See below]
- William O. Buckingham (1864-1933)
- Thomas Buckingham (1866-1939)
- James (Jim) Buckingham (1867-1932)
- Hazel Buckingham [died in infancy]
- Bessie Buckingham [died in infancy]
- Nellie Buckingham Chambers
- Helen Buckingham Powell
- Clifford J. Buckingham
- Albert Buckingham
- Junietta (Jettie) Buckingham Pratt (1873-1955)
- William H. Pratt
- Ella M. Pratt
- Herbert W. Pratt
- Joseph J. Pratt, Jr.
- Junietta E. Pratt
- Francis Edward Pratt
- Howard J. Pratt
- Elmer Pratt
- Helen J. Pratt
Olin Chassell m. Ella Buckingham, September 1, 1891
- Clara Frances Chassell (March 24, 1893-December 23, 1992) m. Homer Cooper (1877-1953)
- Homer Chassell Cooper (1923- 2014) m. Patricia Irvin (1927- 2015)
- Olin B. Cooper (1925-1984)
- Laura Merrill Chassell (March 24, 1893-February 13, 1995) m. Herbert Toops (1895-1972)
- Thorndike Toops (born 1925)
- Edward Chassell Toops (1927-2005)
- Marian Toops Abrell (1930-2015)
- Nona Toops Wylie (born 1931)
- Laurence Toops (born 1936)
- Joseph Olin Chassell (June 13,1900-April 17, 1981) m. Ruth Boardman (1902-1942)
- Sonya Chassell Wessel (1926-2002)
- Anstiss Chassell Nadler (1935-2002)
- m. Margot [birth name unknown] (1911-1996)
- Karen Chassell Ringwald (born 1943)
- Robert J. Chassell (born 1946)
Scope and Content
The Chassell Family Papers, 1821-1999, are comprised of class notebooks, coursework, publications, and other documents detailing the educational training and intellectual output of the Reverend Olin Bosworth Chassell, his wife Frances Ella Buckingham Chassell, and their children, Clara Frances Chassell Cooper, Laura Merrill Chassell Toops, and Joseph O. Chassell.
Click on links for the inventory of each box.
Collection processed and finding aid created by Library Associate Dave Hoing. Updated April 2018 (dh). Linear feet updated September 11, 2017. Essay updated September 12, 2017 (dh).