Search the Rod Library Website
Gilchrist Family Library, various dates
Title: Gilchrist Family Library, various dates
Record Series: 02/01/02
Creator: Descendants of James Gilchrist
Extent: 1.25 linear feet, 1 box
Repository: Special Collections and University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
Language: This material is entirely in English.
Access and Use
Accessing the Collection:
There are no restrictions on the use of this material.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item] in the Gilchrist Family Library collection, Archives Record Series 02/01/02, University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa
General Use, Reproduction, and Copyright Policies
Many items housed in the Rod Library Special Collections & University Archives, including unpublished images and manuscripts, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, trademarks, or model release rights which the library does not own and for which the library cannot grant permission or licensing. Materials currently under copyright are usually still available for research and limited reproduction under Fair Use laws. However, it is the sole responsibility of the patron to determine whether or not their use of a given material falls within Fair Use guidelines and to obtain permission for said use from the rightful copyright owner. If you are unsure where to begin, please consult the Copyright LibGuide. Please note that it is not the library's responsibility to locate or contact copyright holders for a patron, and neither the library nor library employees are responsible for copyright violations of the materials to which they facilitate research access. Please see our full General Use and Service Policies for more information.
Scope and Content
This small collection of books was sent to the University of Northern Iowa Archives in about 2005 by descendants of James Cleland Gilchrist, first Principal of the Iowa State Normal School. Principal Gilchrist made his personal library available to early Normal School students. Some of the books in this collection quite likely were part of the collection that he shared. Some of the books were inscribed by Principal Gilchrist, his daughter Maude Gilchrist, and his son Fred C. Gilchrist
Blackstone, William. Commentaries on the laws of England, volumes 1 and 2. W. E. Dean: New York, 1851.
- On verso of front cover: Label from J. C. Gilchrist personal library; label from Iowa State Normal School Library.
Education, volumes 1-3, 5-6.
- Volume 1: On verso of front cover: Label from the Iowa State Normal School Library. On verso of frontispiece: Gilchrist autograph
- Volume 2: On verso of front cover: Label from the Iowa State Normal School Library. On verso of frontispiece: Gilchrist autograph
- Volume 3: On verso of front cover: Label from the Iowa State Normal School Library. On verso of frontispiece: Gilchrist autograph
Standard library. By-ways of literature; Highways of literature; With the poets; Flowers from a Puritan's garden. Funk and Wagnalls: New York, 1883.
- On title page: Gilchrist autograph
Standard series, class VI, narrative. I. K. Funk: New york, 1881.
- On verso of front cover: Label of Iowa State Normal School Library.
Levey interest reckoner. Levey Brothers: Indianapolis, 1892.
- On verso of front cover: F. C. Gilchrist, Laurens, Iowa inscription
Smith, William. Old Testament history. Harper and Brothers: New York, 1880.
- On flyleaf: Maude Gilchrist, Wellesley College, 1887 inscription
de Tocqueville, Alexis. American institutions and their influence. A. S. Barnes: New York, 1955
- On flyleaf: J. C. Gilchrist autograph
Townsend, Calvin. Analysis of civil government. Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor: New York, 1871.
- On verson of front cover: Label from J. C. Gilchrist personal library
- On flyleaf: J. C. Gilchrist autograph
Ray, Joseph. Primary elements of algebra. Sargent, Wilson, Hinkle: Cincinnati, 1866.
- On flyleaf: Label from J. C. Gilchrist personal library
White, Emerson. Elements of pedagogy. American Book Company: New York, 1886.
- On flyleaf: Gilchrist Laurens, Iowa inscription
Richter, V. V. Lehbuch der anorganischen Chemie. Friedrich Cohen: Bonn, 1895.
- On title page: Dec 1 '96. Maude Gilchrist P. Kluckhohn 8.55
Sabin, Henry. Biennial report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction of the state of Iowa, November 1, 1897. F. R. Conaway: Des Moines, 1897.
- On verso of cover: F. C. Gilchrist, 3-12-98 inscription
- Book includes printed slip: Compliments of Henry Sabin
- Frontispiece of book is commemorative photograph of J. C. Gilchrist, who died in 1897.
Brooke, Stopford. English literature. Appleton: New York, 1876.
- On verso of cover: Label from J. C. Gilchrist personal library
Robert, Henry. Robert's rules of order. Scott, Foresman: Chicago, 1915.
- On flyleaf: F. C. Gilchrist Laurens, Iowa. Jan 22, 1927 inscription
Collection processed by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson, August 27, 2015. Updated by Library Associate Dave Hoing, October 2017 and February 2018. Linear Feet updated August 8, 2017.