Search the Rod Library Website
Grotto of Salvation Brochure, ca. 1940
Title: Grotto of Salvation Brochure, ca. 1940
Record Series: 00/00/04
Creator: Boosters of Cedar Falls, Iowa
Date: ca. 1940
Extent: 0.209 linear feet, 1 box
Repository: Special Collections and University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
Language: This material is entirely in English.
Access and Use
Accessing the Collection:
There are no restrictions on the use of this material.
Preferred Citation: Grotto of Salvation brochure, ca. 1940, Archives Record Series 00/00/04, University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa
General Use, Reproduction, and Copyright Policies
Many items housed in the Rod Library Special Collections & University Archives, including unpublished images and manuscripts, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, trademarks, or model release rights which the library does not own and for which the library cannot grant permission or licensing. Materials currently under copyright are usually still available for research and limited reproduction under Fair Use laws. However, it is the sole responsibility of the patron to determine whether or not their use of a given material falls within Fair Use guidelines and to obtain permission for said use from the rightful copyright owner. If you are unsure where to begin, please consult the Copyright LibGuide. Please note that it is not the library's responsibility to locate or contact copyright holders for a patron, and neither the library nor library employees are responsible for copyright violations of the materials to which they facilitate research access. Please see our full General Use and Service Policies for more information.
Scope and Content
A. J. Krogh, a local barber, created a grotto in his yard at 2010 Clay Street, Cedar Falls, Iowa. He carried out his work as a means of overcoming health problems associated with his occupation as a barber. He worked on his grotto from about 1930 until at least the late 1940s. He built miniature temples and other structures out of stones, shells, and other material that he and others gathered for this purpose from a wide area of the United States. Mr. Korgh also established a small museum on the site.
Mr. Krogh's work became a tourist attraction that was featured in this illustrated brochure issued by a group called the Boosters of Cedar Falls, Iowa, in about 1940.
Folder 1: The brochure
Finding aid updated by Library Associate Dave Hoing, October 2017 and February 2018. Linear Feet updated July 31, 2017.