Search the Rod Library Website
Karl and Martha Holvik Collection, ca. 1958-2012
Title: Karl and Martha Holvik Collection, ca. 1958-2012
Record Series: 14/09/02/03
Creator: Karl and Martha Holvik
Date: ca. 1958-2012
Extent: 3 boxes (1.33 linear feet)
Repository: Special Collections and University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
Language: This material is primarily in English, although some performances are in other languages.
Access and Use
Accessing the Collection:
There are no restrictions on the use of this material. Some of this material was recorded using obsolete technology. It has not been digitized.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item] in the Karl and Martha Holvik Collection, Archives Record Series 14/05/20, [box and folder number], University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa
General Use, Reproduction, and Copyright Policies
Many items housed in the Rod Library Special Collections & University Archives, including unpublished images and manuscripts, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, trademarks, or model release rights which the library does not own and for which the library cannot grant permission or licensing. Materials currently under copyright are usually still available for research and limited reproduction under Fair Use laws. However, it is the sole responsibility of the patron to determine whether or not their use of a given material falls within Fair Use guidelines and to obtain permission for said use from the rightful copyright owner. If you are unsure where to begin, please consult the Copyright LibGuide. Please note that it is not the library's responsibility to locate or contact copyright holders for a patron, and neither the library nor library employees are responsible for copyright violations of the materials to which they facilitate research access. Please see our full General Use and Service Policies for more information.
Karl Magnus Holvik (July 24, 1921-September 11, 2003) joined the UNI faculty as an instructor of woodwind instruments in 1947. He directed several bands during his tenure. He retired as a Professor of Instrumental Conducting in 1984.
Martha Tharalson Holvik (July 1, 1920-July 10, 2014) joined the faculty as an instructor of music in 1970. She founded the UNI Suzuki Program. She retired as an Assistant Professor of Viola and Theory in 1986.
Scope and Content
The scrapbook consists of photographs and a few newsclippings relating to band trips and performances from about 1958 until about 1960. Some photos are labeled; many are not. Probably both Karl and Martha Holvik compiled this scrapbook at the time when the photos were taken. Martha Holvik gave the scrapbook to Tabitha Langis in 2005, when she was conducting research for her History of Bands at the University of Northern Iowa, 1892-2005. Tabitha Langis donated the scrapbook to the University Archives in 2006, at the completion of her research. Martha Holvik also gave Tabitha Langis a collection of band performance programs which are included in material related to the Langis essay. In January 2014 and July 2015, the Holviks' daughters gave additional photographs, band recordings, and papers relating to their parents to the University of Northern Iowa Archives.
Karl and Martha Holvik biographical information, including Suzuki program information
Scrapbook of photographs and a few newsclippings relating to band trips and performances, c. 1958-c. 1960
Photographs of Karl Holvik and his bands
Amphion: a concert march. Written for the occasion of the dedication of the Cedar Falls Municipal Band Shell; June 25, 1996, and dedicated to Karl M. Holvik, Professor of Music and Director of Bands, Emeritus; University of Northern Iowa, by Dennis J. Smith (autographed by Dennis Smith)
Box 2 - Recordings of UNI band performances, audiocassette format
UNI Alumni Band, September 5, 1982
UNI Band and Concert Chorale, May 10, 1972
UNI Wind Ensemble, December 7, 1976
UNI Bands Tape II, April 28, 1980
- Side 1: Symphony No. 2, John Barnes Chance; Serenade for Solo Alto Saxophone, Frank Benecriscutto; Mozart Serenade No. 10, Steve Porter
- Side 2: Sinfonietta, Ingolf Dahl 1.) Susserendo 2.) Pastoral Nocturne 3.) Dance Variations
UNI Bands Tape III, April 25, 1978
- Side 1: Prelude to Die Meistersinger, Wagner; Concertino, Weber; Manzoni Requiem, Verdi; Sonitus Revelationis, Hogancamp
- Side 2: Fanfare to Precede La Peri, Dukas; Fantasies on a Theme, Haydn; On The Mall, Goldman
Holvik "Top 50" Tape IV
- Side 1: Intro to Act III from Lohengrin, Wagner; Irish Tune and Shepherd's Hey, Grainger; Dramatic Essay, C. Williams; Suite from the Water, Handel; Gymnopedie, Eric Satie; Polka from "the Bolt", Shostakovich
- Side 2: Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes by Weber, Hindemith; Symphonic Songs, Bennett; Serenade, Dvorak; Fantisia in G Major, Bach; Sussex Mummers Christmas Carol, Grainger; Scarborough Fair, Clark
UNI "Top 50" Tape V
- Side 1: Concerto Conclusion, Handel; Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, Bach; Liturgical Music, Mailman; Nutcracker Suite, Tchaikovsky; Masquerade Ovt., Neilsen
- Side 2: Tuba Concerto, Williams
Holvik "Top 50" Tape IV
- Side 1: Piccolo Concerto, Vivaldi; Someone to Watch Over Me, Gershwin; Fidelity March, King; The Occasional Suit, Phillips; Mini Suite, Gould; Prelude on Brother James's Air, Wright;
- Side 2: Overture to Marriage of Figaro, Mozart; Bach; Sarabande, Debussy; Bach (again); Da Capo, Boulanger; Black is the Color, Reed
UNI Top 50 Tape VII
- Side 1: Hill Song No. 2, Grainger; Lincolnshire Posy, Grainger; Robinson's Grand Entree, King; O Sacred Head, Bach/Wright; Chester Overture, Schuman; Suite Francaise, Milhaud
- Side 2: Dramatic Essay, William; Prelude and Fugue, Nelhybel; Oboe concerto No. 3, Handel
UNI Wind Ensemble IBA 1981
UNI Wind Ensemble German Music rehearsal
UNI Wind Ensemble, 1976
Irish Tune, Grainger; Shepherds' Hey, Grainger; Armenian Dances Part 1, Reed; Robinson's Grand Entree, King; Troupe Days Barnum and Bailey, King
UNI Wind Ensemble, February 2, 1977
Suite in E flat, Holst
UNI Wind Ensemble, Sonitus Revelationus, Hill
Radio programs, audiocassette format
- Great moments in 20th century band music, KUNI Concert Classics, December 18, 1985; Peter Hamlin, host, and Karl Holvik, guest
- Happy birthday, Mr. Sousa, KUNI, November 6, 1982
UNI School of Music Hall of Fame Award, Martha Holvik, 2012 (large plastic memento)
Sturgis Falls Celebration, Parade Grand Marshall, Martha and Karl Holvik, 2003 (large plastic memento)
Material initially processed and finding aid prepared by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson, June 2006; additions to collection processed by Student Assistant Renee Croghan; updated, July 20, 2015 (GP). Updated by Library Associate Dave Hoing, January 2018 and April 2018. Linear feet updated on September 14, 2017.