Search the Rod Library Website
Women's Physical Education Photographic and Film Collection, 1943-1973
Title: Women's Physical Education Photographic and Film Collection, 1943-1973
Record Series: 13/06/01
Creator: Ripley Marsten
Extent: 1.25 linear feet, 1 box
Repository: Special and University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
Access and Use
Accessing the Collection:
There are no restrictions on the use of this material. Much of this material was preserved on obsolete technology. It has not been transcribed or digitized.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item] in the Women's Physical Education Photographic and Film Collection, 1943-1973, Archives Record Series 13/06/28, [box and folder number], University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa
General Use, Reproduction, and Copyright Policies
Many items housed in the Rod Library Special Collections & University Archives, including unpublished images and manuscripts, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, trademarks, or model release rights which the library does not own and for which the library cannot grant permission or licensing. Materials currently under copyright are usually still available for research and limited reproduction under Fair Use laws. However, it is the sole responsibility of the patron to determine whether or not their use of a given material falls within Fair Use guidelines and to obtain permission for said use from the rightful copyright owner. If you are unsure where to begin, please consult the Copyright LibGuide. Please note that it is not the library's responsibility to locate or contact copyright holders for a patron, and neither the library nor library employees are responsible for copyright violations of the materials to which they facilitate research access. Please see our full General Use and Service Policies for more information.
Professor Ripley Marston brought this collection to the University of Northern Iowa Archives at about the time of the renovation of the the former East Gymnasium into the Innovative Teaching and Technology Center in 2005.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of about 200 photographic slide transparencies and about 50 films relating to the women's physical education curriculum, activities, and facilities. It is likely that just about all of the slides and films were created by members of the faculty of the Department of Physical Education for Women from about 1943 through about 1973, with most material from the 1950s and 1960s. Professor Shirley Winsberg was likely the person who shot most of the films. Other faculty members associated with the material include Professors Jean Bontz and Dorothy Humiston.
- About 200 color photographic slide transparencies featuring women's physical education classes, activities, and facilities including softball, volleyball, tennis, folk dance, physical education majors and their clubs, swimming, diving, movement, stunts, golf, and field hockey. There are staff group photos as well as individual images of Jean Bontz, Elinor Crawford, Jeannette Rogers, and Betty Stover. Most photos are from the late 1950s through the 1960s. Some photos are briefly identified. Some are not.
- Small, spiralbound notebook probably kept by Professor Shirley Winsberg during a tour of physical education training institutions in England in the spring of 1963. Notes in the book focus on physical education training methods.
- Small notebook associated with the spiral notebook described immediately above; includes additional notes and provides a key to those films in this collection that were shot during a tour of English physical training institutions in 1963.
- Revere Double 8mm camera, with leather case, instruction booklet, and extra lenses; probably used to shoot the film noted below
Series of fifty foot 8mm films, most of which were likely shot by Professor Shirley Winsberg of the physical education faculty on a tour of English physical training institutions in 1963. There might have been as many as fifty films in this series at one time, but only the following reels arrived in the University Archives. In some cases, there are two reels with the same number. Reel titles below are taken from the containers housing the films and from the notebook cited above.
- Reels 1 and 2 (on one spool): Lordswood, first and second year work; Warren Farm, juniors, curling, stretching, and rocking; Hodge Hill, gymnastics demonstration
- Reel 3: Hodge Hill, forms1, 2, 3, 4
- Reels 3 and 4 (on one spool): King's Heath Junior, Warren Farm Junior, ten-year-olds putting away apparatus
- Reel 5: 4 Dwellings; warming up
- Reel 6: Partners in flight
- Reel 7: Junior track meet; net ball, 1973
- Reel 8: Individual apparatus
- Reel 9: Hodge Hill; King's Heath junior playday afternoon; Birmingham Institute sports day
- Reel 10: Low third form group from Lordswood; floor work on twisting; apparatus
- Reel 11: Lordswood, 13 year olds, working toward continuity on apparatus; Warren Farm, ball work, apparatus
- Reel 12: Warren Farm
- Reel 15: Lordswood
- Reel 15 (second use of that number): first grade Campus School on apparatus
- Reel 21: Lady Mabel College
- Reel 22: Lady Mabel College, group study on apparatus
- Reel 23: Hodge Hill, dance
- Reel 24: Hodge Hill, 4 Dwellings
- Reel 25: Colmore Infant, counterbalance, junior ballwork
- Reel 26: City of Birmingham Teachers College, dance, floor, apparatus
- Reel 27: Anstey College, apparatus, movement
- Reel 29: Hodge Hill, Warren Farm
- Reel 30: Lordswood, group work; Matlock College open day, Hodge Hill
- Reel 32: 4-Dwellings, hoop work, apparatus
- Reel 33: I. M. Marsh course, teachers workshop
- Reel 50: Movement, fall 1964 majors
Unnumbered 8mm films: titles taken from cryptic notations on reels and packages
- Gymnas(tics?), two reels
- Peoria; Ames workshop
- Stunts & tumbling
- Pat Jackley
- 1949 reunion
- State meet, 1977-1978 (2 reels)
- Group apparatus, England
- 1963 campus scenes, some movement
- P. E. M. Club film
- Danish Gym Team
16mm films: titles taken from film spool or containers
- Soccer film, package addressed to Dorothy Humiston
- Floor work
- Stunts, volleyball
- Oak Ridge
- Shirley's (Winsberg) 16mm film of Movement Sequences filmed at Anstey College--Physical educ. major students, apparatus studies
- Iowa State Teachers College Iowa Plan (Jasper County)
Papers processed and finding aid prepared by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson, June 2012. Updated by Library Associate Dave Hoing, December 2017 and April 2018. Linear feet updated September 10, 2017.