- Fortepan Iowa is a digital, community-driven archive of images depicting everyday Iowa life in the 19th and 20th centuries
- The University of Iowa Library Special Collections Department maintains strong collections on Lincoln, Leigh Hunt, railroads, and Iowa history, and they have extensive digital collections as well.
- The Iowa Women's Archives, located in the University of Iowa Library, maintains collections of material related to women's roles and achievements in Iowa history.
- The Iowa State University Special Collections and University Archives maintains a number of collections which focus on the university's scientific and technological roles.
- The State Historical Society of Iowa offers many programs, services, and publications, including grants administered by the Society. Their collections range from photographs, vital records, books, and manuscripts, and many are available online.
- Drake University Archives and Special Collections houses a political papers collection, including those of former Senator Tom Harkin.
- Wartburg College is home to the Archives of Iowa Broadcasting about television and radio in the state.
United States and International
- The University of Illinois Archives has developed an excellent collection related to student life with a special emphasis on fraternities and sororities.
- The Archives Division of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin maintains a wide-ranging website of information from throughout the state.
- The National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections of the Library of Congress has information available online about holdings at archival repositories across the country.
- The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) offers digital access to many federal records in areas such as founding documents, family history, and the military, as well as resources on preservation, genealogy, and education.
- A great deal of collections about art, natural science, culture, and more held at the Smithsonian Institution Libraries are available online.
- The Online Archive of California (OAC) provides public access to listings of materials from over 200 institutions across California.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill holds hundreds of collections in Southern History and Southern Folklife, many of which are available in digital form online.
- The Society of American Archivists maintains a directory of archival organizations in the United States and Canada.
- The Open Education Database provides a list of over 250 online libraries and archives, organized by state.
- Fortepan Hungary, a sister site to Fortepan Iowa, depicts everyday Hungarian life through digitized photographs from ordinary individuals
Special Interest Sites
- Those interested in the Holocaust should check the Archives of the Holocaust Museum.
- Joconde provides access to the collection records and a limited number of images in over 60 French museums. The database includes records of designs, prints, paintings, sculptures, photographs, and art objects representing over 130,000 art works and 10,000 artists.
- The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation offers a well-linked and highly-informative look at life in an early American city.
- Europeana is an online portal to a vast number of cultural heritage sites' holdings across Europe.