Rod Library and Facilities Planning are embarking on a semester-long library building feasibility study. With the development of thelearning commons(link is external), other space changes that have been suggested, and the integration of the UNI Museums(link is external) into the building, we thought it would be prudent to take a more systematic look at library space. We've hired OPN Architects(link is external), who just completed the Redeker project and who recently designed the Cedar Rapids Public Library, to work with us. Library consultant Sam Demas(link is external) (former Library Director at Carleton College) will also be assisting us with this project.
- More information about OPN Architects(link is external)
- More information about Sam Demas of Sam Demas Collaborative Consulting(link is external)
Goals of the Study
The goals of the library building feasibility study are:
- To analyze how library space is currently used
- Explore space trends in academic libraries
- Get feedback from various user groups across campus about what they would like to see to meet their needs
- Develop a 20-year vision for library space changes.
The result will be a report which will be shared with the campus and which will guide future library renovation projects, including the potential for a library-wide renovation at some future time.
In an effort to communicate with the campus more effectively with regard to the feasibility study, we’ve put together a steering committee for the project. A list of the members is below. If you have any questions, or want to share a comment, feel free to contact any of these individuals or Chris Cox, Dean of Library Services.
- Susan Basye, Administrative Operations Coordinator, Rod Library
- Conner Brakeville, Student Government Representative
- Dale Cyphert, Associate Professor, Management
- Richard Featherstone, Interim Associate Dean, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Jeffrey Funderburk, Professor, School of Music
- Glenn Gray, Assistant Vice President and Executive Director of Residence, Residence Administration
- Latricia Hylton, Math Coordinator, Academic Learning Center
- Nancy Lippens, Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
- Glenn Swanson, Architect, Facilities Planning
- Jason Vetter, Instructional Designer and Technology Coordinator, Information Technology Services (ITS)
- Christopher Cox, Dean of Library Services, Ex Officio
- Bradd Brown, Senior Partner, OPN Architects, Ex Officio