Visitors and Reciprocal Borrowing

Visitor's Courtesy Card

Persons not associated with UNI may check out library material by filling out a form at Library Services and obtaining a free Visitor's Courtesy Card, valid for one year.  Applicants must provide a valid form of identification and Social Security Number (in order to generate your UNI ID number).  A Visitor Card does not allow off campus access to library databases.

Loan Periods for Visitors

Item Type Loan Period Renewal Fine Rate
Main Collection 3 week  One- 1 week .25/day
Oversize Books 3 week  One- 1 week .25/day
Browsing Books 3 week  One- 3 weeks .25/day
Career Collection 3 week  One- 1 week .25/day
Sound Recordings 3 week  One- 1 week .25/day
Government Documents 3 week  One- 1 week .25/day
Maps 3 week  One- 1 week .25/day
Bound Periodicals 1 day None $1.00/day
Information File (Fine and Performing Arts Collection) 1 week None .25/day
Current Issues of Periodicals Building Use Only Not Applicable $1.00/Hr
Microforms Building Use Only Not Applicable Not Applicable
Permanent Reserve Building Use Only Not Applicable $1.00/Hr
Youth 1 week Two- 7 day $.50/day
Interlibrary Loan Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable


Special Recall Note for Visitor Checkouts

Should an item be requested for recall by another patron, visitors are required to return the item to Rod Library immediately.

Database Access for Graduate Students Not Enrolled in Classes

Graduate students who are working on a thesis but are not actually enrolled for classes must have their advisor send a letter or e-mail to office stating that the student is continuing to work on their degree and needs access to library services. A fee is charged for this service, but it will allow off campus access to databases.

Reciprocal Borrowing Privileges

Students, staff, and faculty from the three Regents universities have reciprocal borrowing privileges; that is, anyone from UNI, Iowa State, or the University of Iowa may check out materials at the other two universities, subject to the regulations of the lending institution. You will need to present your UNI ID. The other regent institutions will issue you a library card. Iowa State does charge a minimal fee for this service.

Persons from Iowa or Iowa State wishing to borrow material from UNI's Rod Library need only present their school ID card and proof of current registration at Library Services.  All library patrons must have a patron information record entered into OneSearch!.

Rod Building
About Us
My Account
Ask Us!
Site Search
Floor Maps
Staff List