Hosting Exhibit Cases
Rod Library encourages the UNI community to host monthly exhibits within the library’s six designated exhibit cases.
Topics subject to controversy may and should be presented, provided that they are handled objectively. Exhibits may not be used to promote personal, commercial, or political positions. Materials displayed do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of the Library and/or University.
Proposals for an Exhibit
Written proposals are required groups interested in using the exhibit cases, and should be submitted via the online form.
Proposals should describe the theme, content, time and duration of the proposed display. All proposals will be considered to determine which groups will be granted permission to use the exhibit cases.
The Library Exhibit Coordinators reserve the right to defer scheduling use of the case at particular times to allow for the consideration of different proposals. Ordinarily, the exhibit case will be booked no more than one year in advance.
The Library reserves the right, with proper notice, to reschedule any proposed exhibit if it conflicts with the Library's need for the exhibit space. An exhibit may be canceled at any stage if the exhibitors have not met the agreed-upon conditions and deadlines.
Exhibitors are responsible for mounting and removing exhibits on a schedule communicated by Library Exhibit Coordinators. An exhibit must adhere to Rod Library and university policies.
Designated Exhibit Cases
* Dimensions are listed in length x width x depth
- Learning Commons (east entrance, main floor) size: 106" x 73.5" x 12"; divided into 3 equal 32" sections; adjustable shelves
- Learning Commons (flat display case, east side of Dichotomy, main floor) size: 58" x 26" x 8"
- Special Collections (east large case, third floor) size: 72" x 80" x 18"
- Special Collections (flat display case, east side of Dichotomy, third floor) size: 58" x 26" x 8"
- Special Collections (west large case, third floor) size: 72" x 80" x 18"
- Diversity Committee Library Materials Display Stand (moveable book display, main floor near Book Bistro) size: three adjustable 23" shelves on each side; 20.5" x 20.5" two-sided top section for accompanying description or graphic
Mounting & Removing an Exhibit
The Library Exhibit Coordinators will provide access to the exhibit cases and be responsible for the key to the case. After installing an exhibit, and before leaving the Library, the exhibitors should make contact with the Library Exhibit Coordinators to assure the case has been locked and unused materials returned. materials may be used in exhibit cases. The Library Exhibit Coordinators will assist those mounting exhibits in identifying library materials suitable for inclusion in a display and check them out the exhibit cases. Library materials in circulation may not be recalled for inclusion in exhibits. The library will provide an exhibit mounting kit that includes such items as a stapler, push pins, tape, etc.
Exhibits must include professional-looking signs and labels as well as identifying organizational information.
Items may be added to or removed from an exhibit throughout the entire time the exhibit is displayed. On request, interested patrons may check-out any circulating library material displayed in an exhibit case.
Security and Liability
All Library display cases are locked. However, the cases are glass. This places items in the cases at some risk of damage or theft. Rod Library will not be responsible for displaying items that are damaged or stolen. The University of Northern Iowa and Rod Library do not have insurance to cover the loss of or damage to display items. The person authorizing the display of her/his items assumes all risk of damage and loss. The person authorizing the placement of personal items in a Rod Library display case is responsible for personal insurance to pay for the damage and/or loss of items if necessary.
Library Exhibit Coordinators
- Joy Lynn (273-7295 firstname.lastname@example.org), Special Collections
- Gail Bunz (273-6003 email@example.com), Learning Commons
- Cindy Bancroft (273-6399 firstname.lastname@example.org), Diversity