Strategic Plan, 2018-2023 (PDF)
UNIFYING GOAL: STUDENT SUCCESS
Develop and support engages learning experiences, dynamic and high-quality academic program, and outstanding faculty and staff to foster student success.
- Enhance library spaces to contribute to student learning and curricular changes.
- Number of patrons using identified library spaces and services
- Student satisfaction with library spaces, specifically related to learning/curricular needs
- Provide information literacy instruction to prepare students to work, contribute, engage, and grow in a global society.
- Classes (and level, elective/mandatory status, etc.) within each major/department that come through any part of the instruction program
- Student information literacy competency (as measured in student assessments and through qualitative feedback from professors)
- Provide high quality and economically responsible resources to student staff, and faculty to support their teaching, learning scholarship, service, and creative endeavors.
- Use of library resources (material and non-material) compared to format variety/disciplinary coverage
- Student, staff, and faculty satisfaction with library resources (availability; accessibility; ease of use; economic questions; relevance to teaching, learning, scholarship, service, and creative endeavors, etc)
- Employ students and interns in authentic, meaningful work experiences that will prepare them for life and careers after UNI.
- Job/grad school placement rates (including field information) for student assistants and interns
- Number of positions that include higher-level work
- Skills developed by student workers (as reported on student exit survey)
- Encourage, promote, and showcase student and faculty work to highlight its quality, variety, and contribution.
- Number of exhibits and events showcasing student and faculty work
- Number of student and faculty works collected and their use
Supporting Goal 1 Diversity and Inclusion
Provide a campus culture that reflects and values the evolving diversity of society and promotes inclusion.
- Build and access collections that reflect our diverse community.
- Use of resources (in all formats) identified as relevant to the University’s definition of diversity, demographics, and/or initiatives
- Funding allocated for materials related to the University’s definition of diversity, demographics, and/or initiatives
- Recruit, hire, and retain diverse faculty, staff, and students employees.
- Demographics of faculty, staff, and student employees compared to campus demographics
- Retention rates of faculty, staff, and student employees from diverse backgrounds
- Increase cultural competency of all library employees to create an inclusive organization.
- Cultural competency as measured by a scale/metric developed/adopted by the Diversity Coordinator/Committee
- Hours of diversity-related professional development activities attended by faculty, staff, and student employees
- Improve the accessibility and inclusivity of library resources, spaces, and technology.
- Satisfaction level of students with library resources, spaces, and technology in terms of accessibility and inclusivity
- Compliance with ADA standards for accessible design
- Provide inclusive programming in collaboration with university groups and organizations.
- Number of programs offered per year on topics connected with diversity and inclusion
- Quality of collaborative programs as rated by participants and collaborating organizations
Supporting Goal 2 Campus Vitality
Enhance resource and facility development to provide an enriched campus life experience which is both environmentally and fiscally responsible.
- Actively participate in concerted fundraising efforts to expand, improve, preserve, and maintain Library resources, services, spaces and technology.
- Amount of money raised, including successful grants
- Number of avenues of fundraising
- Develop opportunities for and encourage employee and student well-being.
- Amount of participation in library-sponsored health and wellness activities
- Number of programs offered in or by the library, such as Pet Pals, suicide prevention training and flu shots
- Maintain, review and improve Library services and procedures, seeking efficient, effective, and sustainable methods.
- Satisfaction with targeted services and procedures
- Usage of targeted services and procedures (could compare to hours required to implement, financial cost, etc., as appropriate)
- Develop and implement a holistic approach to becoming a learning organization.
- Attendance at or participation in conferences and professional development sessions by faculty and staff both on-campus and off-campus
- New initiatives or changes to existing processes or services as a result of professional development
Supporting Goal 3 Community Engagement
Create opportunities for students, faculty and staff to build external relationships that enhance local and global learning experiences and contribute to the cultural and economic vitality of the Cedar Valley and Iowa.
- Build and strengthen external relationships through university collaborations and community partnerships.
- Quality of collaborative relationships as rated by library and external partners
- Number of external relationships and collaborations
- Expand the read of Rod Library and the quality of our resources and services through participation in consortia, professional organizations, and other inter-library groups.
- Number of titles or volumes accessible or acquired through licensing or contractual agreements with fellow members of consortia
- Cost-savings or efficiencies achieved through organizational memberships or consortial licensing/contractual agreements
- Encourage the community to use our spaces and services.
- Use of library spaces (reservations) and resources (circulation/access counts by non-UNI patrons
- Knowledge level of library spaces and services among identified community subgroups
- Develop an effective structure to support and coordinate community engagement and volunteer work.
- Participation in community engagement and volunteer opportunities
- Faculty/staff satisfaction with coordination of community engagement and volunteer work
- Provide library-related community engagement experiences for student workers, interns, library ambassadors, and volunteers.
- Number of community engagement experiences reported
- Percentage of student employees participating in community engagement experiences